Create wires dynamicly

freax

Hi everybody,

At the moment I have a hard time with creating wires dynamically during simulation. (I want to create slime strings between objects). At first i tried to do everything with the wire solver, but this didn't work since it was importing the wires every frame over and over again.
After watching this tutorial of Entagma (http://www.entagma.com/connect-the-yarns-with-the-pbd-solver/) I tried it with grains.  The difference with my setup is that i start without any geometry in the scene. So it doesn't evaluate the geometry wrangle. Am i right? Do you know if there is a way to force it to evaluate the geometry wrangle?

The thing is that if I source geometry it works as it should, but that's something that i do not want. There should be a way to do this, right? But i definitely don't have enough knowledge about the Dop networks and how this all works under the hood. So if you have a tip to understand better how to handle all the geometry in the dops, that would be nice as well! If somebody could point me in the right direction that would be great! :D

Thanks in advance!

Can you be more specific about what you want it to look like? "Creating dynamically" could mean a lot of different things. Please be more specific.

Are they appearing as dots between the spaces? Are they growing from both sides? Are they shooting quickly out then relaxing? Is a single thread going out which is followed and twisted over by more threads? And on and on...

Try drawing it out on a couple frames on paper to get a better idea of what you want to see.

Yes you're right. I wrote this message when I was a bit in a hurry. I should have take a bit more time to make it more clear!

I threw away what i had got before and try it with the wire solver again. But feel free to give advice to do it completely different if it is easier!
So my idea is...

- Create wires if the points are in range of another surface
- Add those wires to a simulation every frame (wire solver or pop-grains). But they need to be updated/imported every frame since new wires are created on the moving geometry.

This is what I've got so far as a basis to work with. (I've added this hip file as an attachment)

264dc7823747e6377277e349814bba85.gif

To make a bit more clear what my idea was. I wanted to add on every frame where a new curve was created, add it to a wire solver. But if i set the creation frame in wire object on $F to import every frame, it creates an wireobject as well for every frame. But I think that this makes it very hard to create constraints to stick it to animated mesh, right?

The other idea was to do it with grains like in the tutorial of Entagma. But after all, that didn't bring me anywhere. But I might be doing something completely wrong.
To be honest... I really don't know witch way to go to achieve this effect and what the right direction is to go! Hopefully somebody can help. By the way.. The reason why i want to simulate it is that in the end I want to break the wires if they are above a certain length threshold. But that's another story for the future! :)

Thanks in advance!

slimeWires_v03.hip