[Solved] Unable to properly link float ramps via script

ant1fact

Hello,

I hope somebody can help me out as I have run into a problem when linking ramps via script that I have been unable to solve for more than a week now. What I would like to achieve is exactly the same effect that using "Copy Parameter" / "Paste Relative References" does when doing this from the user interface. I tried both python and hscript. The problem is that once the ramps are linked, when I add new control points to the parent, the child gets the control points but doesn't get the positions (ramp#pos) and values (ramp#value). In python I simply tried to set one float ramp parm to the other like this:

hou.parm("/obj/node_B/ramp_B").set(hou.parm("/obj/node_A/ramp_A"))

This seemed like the most simple and straightforward way of doing this but it failed so I reported it to the SideFX guys and they confirmed that python is not feature-complete for linking ramps with the .set() command - first they logged it as Bug #97192 then it was reconsidered to be an RFE with the same ID. After this SideFX suggested to use hscript opmultiparm which I proceeded to do but the ramp linking failed this time too. I am fairly confident using python but not so much with hscript so I am hoping it's my inability to use hscript properly this time rather than another bug - this is what I did:

opmultiparm /obj/node_B/ 'ramp_B#pos' '/obj/node_A/ramp_A#pos' 'ramp_B#value' '/obj/node_A/ramp_A#value' 'ramp_B#interp' '/obj/node_A/ramp_A#interp'

What I noticed in the "Edit Parameters" interface is if I manually type in the path to link the ramps then it does work the same as "Copy Parameter" / "Paste Relative References" - see below. I wonder if this field is exposed to python or hscript somewhere and maybe I should try to set this?

image.png.4531fb3916a0ee461d7401502db49509.png

Other than the above I also used both opscript and .asCode() after setting up the ramps links manually to see if it gives me the proper code and even if I run the code I get back from these the ramp linking still fails.

Has anybody ever found a reliable solution for linking ramps in script? Anybody got any ideas where to go from here?:)

EDIT: I found the solution on the SideFX forum by user jsmack in this post:

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/59899

Edited by ant1fact
  • Like 1