UVs for procedural corals

hmihalis1

Hi there, 

I'm making some proecural corals for a game engine situation using VDB advection: 

corals-sample.thumb.jpg.0caf6f6a59453e90a68bd0a9b82d9412.jpg

so of course the highpoly models need to be reduced and have normals and height etc maps baked, but i'm having a bit of a nightmare trying to find a auto UV solution that can create Uvs that don't contain errors, see below a baked AO texture resulting from auto UVs, the errors are even more noticeable on the normals channel: 

5d1e0216de7cc_AOuvserrors.JPG.6a2deecf520e97889f4cf6a1ace3536a.JPG  normals-errors.JPG.ec26717063437c86f2db78831ebbfa79.JPG

Could anyone advise me on what settings to try in the autoUV SOP? I'm currently using the UV autoseam, I tried cluster but its just crashing my machine. It doesn't matter if it takes an hour+ to generate the UVs for each coral, or should I just abandon trying to autoUV shapes this organic and weird? UV maps are always very confusing for me. 

Any help at this time is hugely appreciated, 

H

• Like 1

Yeah. Basically, just dilate it out so that you can use the ray sop to project it back when you got acceptable UVs.

Auto uv set to cluster with a low number of cluster has worked well for me in the past. 

Might also slice up your mesh and the UVs one piece at a time.