Where is the checkerboard pattern living these days?

So a few older tutorials I have been following have people dragging the Checkerboard from the Material palette onto an object. I thought maybe the checkerboard just was no more since the material system changed, but I recently saw a Houdini 17+ tutorial where someone did the same thing. My material palette has no Checkerboard pattern on it. Where can I find it? Is it something I have to opunhide?

I had found that, but it only gives me grey:

viewport.thumb.PNG.0311359a30e69feab307cdc4662e1bdc.PNG

(I did throw a quick UVUnwrap on the grid an sphere before applying it.) What am I doing wrong there?

I don't remember where it was, but the recent H17 tutorial I found had the person actually grabbing the checkerboard from the palette, so I'm guessing they didn't just get rid of something so common to replace it with something that takes three more steps now, right?

presetsAreSometimesPractical.hipnc

I got an answer on the SideFX board--you have to use the texture gBWCheck.rat in a shader for it to display in the viewport. (Adding checkers to the shader don't display in the viewport.)

More complicated than it apparently used to be, but I'm assuming that had to do with them retooling how shaders/materials are handled.

The place I saw this done, where he just drags it off the palette, is at 5:09 at:
https://app.pluralsight.com/player?course=disintegration-teleportation-reintegration-effects-houdini-2322&author=jeff-wolverton&name=disintegration-teleportation-reintegration-effects-houdini-2322-m2&clip=0&mode=live