Animated object with object space VDB Noise

tunalan

Hi everyone,

Basically what I am trying to do is simple but haven't been able to find a way that works. I have an animated object and I converted it into a VDB to eventually turn it into a cloud. However, once the object is converted into VDB and it moves, the VDB starts moving through the object in World Scale and flickers , is there any way I can have the VDB stick to the object?

Thank you!!

if it's animated at Object level in houdini, then I assume inside of it you have static geo, where you can do your VDB cloud stuff

if however the geo is in sop level then more info would help

-  is the animation at packed prim level? then you can use packedfulltransform prim intrinsic to bring it back to local, do your vdb and apply the transform back

- if its not packed, but the deformation is a rigid transform, you can use Extract transform and Transform Pieces to bring it back to local, do your vdb and apply the transform back

Edited by anim

18 hours ago, anim said:

if it's animated at Object level in houdini, then I assume inside of it you have static geo, where you can do your VDB cloud stuff

if however the geo is in sop level then more info would help

-  is the animation at packed prim level? then you can use packedfulltransform prim intrinsic to bring it back to local, do your vdb and apply the transform back

- if its not packed, but the deformation is a rigid transform, you can use Extract transform and Transform Pieces to bring it back to local, do your vdb and apply the transform back

Thanks for your response.

I am getting my animation from an alembic file. I have managed to get one step further in the process. I am using a pointdeform node with first input is my VDB with timeshift frozen on first frame, second input is the rest position (timeshift) and the 3rd position is looking at the alembic animation. That helps freeze the VDB from moving as it animates, however, I have multiple objects like this and this method didn't work with multiple objects, I tried a foreach and it runs the set up through all objects but the VDB still flickers. 

• 1 month later...