Anamorphic Lens Squeeze

I know this is a bit of a bizarre request but I'm trying to simulate rendering in anamorphic squeezed, to later be unsqueezed in comp. I've set up my resolutions and pixel aspect ratio but as expected it just reframes the image and doesn't provide that squeezing effect you might get from something similar to Maya's lens squeeze parameter? Any advice on how to achieve this? 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, NathanVFX said:

I know this is a bit of a bizarre request but I'm trying to simulate rendering in anamorphic squeezed, to later be unsqueezed in comp. I've set up my resolutions and pixel aspect ratio but as expected it just reframes the image and doesn't provide that squeezing effect you might get from something similar to Maya's lens squeeze parameter? Any advice on how to achieve this? 

Thanks!

Isn't Screen Window Size parameter (View Tab of Camera Obj) what you're after?

For squeezing, you will need to change both the resolution and the pixel aspect ratio to properly squeeze an image.  You'll need to use the reciprocal of the aspect ratio to reduce the width of your output resolution.

For example:

Say your final output resolution is 1920x1024, and the anamorphic aspect ratio is 1.422.

The reciprocal is 0.703 (1 / 1.422). Multiplying that by the width returns 1352 (1920 * 0.703).

In the camera's setting you would put:

Resolution: 1352, 1024

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.422

To unsqueeze the rendered image, multiply the width by 1.422 to return to a standard HD frame size.

In the images below, the left is the sequeezed (rendered), and the right is the unsqueezed (in comp).

Hope this helps,

Howitzer

squeezed.jpg

unsqueezed.jpg

• Like 1