RustyMac2020

Help With a small project please. (Feasibility test)

Hi all, 

I am trying to do something basic for now as this will be a huge learning curve for me; I want to learn how I can create a Cube with Cones coming out of each of the Faces, this will be a Feasibility test for a bigger Project at university I have coming up regarding Procedural generated Architecture, and will be implemented in my Dissertation, everyone will be credited in my work, Thank you.

I would like to scatter some points on top of the surface of a cube then have the points behave like anchor points for the cones to sit on, or for the cones to recognise there are points and connect with them. I have attached some images of what I mean. Thank you. 

How would one go about doing this simple task?

Kind Regards

Rusty.M

Cube_WithPointsScattered_Across_it_01.tif

Cube_WithPoints_Reduced_02.tif

Cube_WithPoints_Reduced__and_Cones_Placed_Over_them_03.tif

Edited by RustyMac2020

34 minutes ago, konstantin magnus said:

Hi Ahmet,

you can copy geometries to primitive's center by adding points with normals inside a primitive VOP before using a copy SOP.

copy_to_prim_center.hipnc

Hi konstantin magnus, thank you for replying back and the file you sent is really great, however as I am trying to learn and understand the process of what is happening, I tried to re-create the file for myself to get a better understanding, and I came up with weird results compared to yours, is there anything I'm misunderstanding or I am not seeing? here is my Houdini File and some screen shots of the issue.

Thank you

Rusty.M

Cube_with_Cones_Test_Issue_01.png

Cube_with_Cones_Test_Issue_02.png

Cube_with_Cones_Test_Issue_03.png

Cube_Feasibility_Test.hipnc

Ok, so i managed to realise that the (Run Over) on the attribute VOP was set to the wrong setting, and I placed it on the right one now (Primitive), however I am now getting another issue, where the cones are not meeting the surface of the cube. I have tried scaling the cube & the tubes; again to no avail they still wont touch the surface of the Cube.

Thanks

Ahmet.B

Cube_with_Cones_Test_Issue_04.png

2 hours ago, konstantin magnus said:

Hi Ahmet,

you can copy geometries to primitive's center by adding points with normals inside a primitive VOP before using a copy SOP.

copy_to_prim_center.hipnc

Hey this has been a great experience, I managed to figure it out, my code had an error where the ch("height") was * 5 instead of * 0.5 

Thank you for all the help it is appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ahmet.B

Cube_with_Cones_Test_Issue_Fixed_06.png

Edited by RustyMac2020