Reading of Houdini alembic is too slow in Cinema4d R20

Ggradest

Hi. I want to export my houdini simulation to cinema4d R20, but reading of it is too slow.In this example, the file is less than 1G and the polygon is less than 1M, but C4D takes more than 10 minutes to load it. On the other hand, Houdini takes about 20 seconds including unpack (convert to geometry instead of instance).

all alembic file pattern (Houdini default,HDF5,Ogawa) and ShapeNode method (Deform and Transform) has same problem.

Please give me any solution or idea for c4d pipeline.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1b8rN7RytybgCi_oUepXa9JK92iDOja0M

Ogawa

My Cinema4d is R20.059 Studio

Houdini is H17.5.360

Cinema4D is just not built to handle that amount of data. 

If you don't need to modify the geometry at all, depending on your render engine you could load in a viewport proxy that would stream in the real geometry at rendertime... this would be something like an Arnold .ass file, or a VRay .vrmesh, or a Redshift3D .rsproxy. You'll see a bounding box or some other downrezzed representation in the viewport, but it'll still render normally.

I also try to open it.
Reading It took 30s. But once open c4d totaly stuck. Nothin surprising. more than 8000 animated object. C4d really don't like that.
This is where houdini is very strong, while it is one of the weaknesses of c4d.
There's no miracle to wait here.
Take the advice of toadstorm is the best you can do IMO.

Thank you for toadstorm and flccs cleary answer. It was refreshing to know that this problem is generally C4D specification.

My Octane probably doesn't have Proxy system, so I'll consider how to reduce geometry or just wait ...

In Addittion,

In Houdini Engine, it seems that Unpack processing is performed at the time of geometry transfer to C4D, so such geometry can not be handled.
This problem is serious even when importing a large amount of debris particles ...
I can remain in C4D if someone finds a good way.

Thank you for your answers !

I may have found a solution in OctaneRender.
OctaneScatter seems to be able to instantiate based on CSV file, so CSV conversion data from Houdini Python (or GameDev CSV ROP) can be used.
As far as I can see, using CSV mode makes OctaneScatter correspond to the loops order of child objects in the form of particle IDs  , so it seems to be able to handle RBDsim that requires precise correspondence between points and geometry.
However, since the OctaneScatter reference available on the internet is very vague, it seems a bit painful to complete the workflow...
I will write it as an idea!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi micro.

Nope, I complete all rendering in Houdini now. In any case, as a data environment that can render massive vfx, houdini is It seems to be the best. I don't know about Autodesk or Foundry but...
If you load RBDsim as "deform geometry" it will cost you a proportional amount of the number of polygons But you can managed to render it in C4D as well.