Vop Nodes Values

Hi,

I'm not sure if even the question is correctly made but... what I'm sometimes tsuck or in doubt with is... when creating a VOP network.. is there a "spreadsheet" like window where to have values that comes out from VOP op?... for example.. If I use a ShiftVOP ... how do I menage to -really know- input min/max values?... this is just an example.. but what i'd like to have is the values of all outputs of a VOP node..

sorry if this sounds stupid :D

cheers

Use a print VOP.

Simply wire the output of the VOP you wish to see the output from and wire it in to the input of the print VOP. Then check on "Output Text to Console" to generate the output. On windows, this will pop open the console window. On Linux, the output is redirected to the shell that launched Houdini.

Note that this will slow down the execution of the shader. Don't forget to turn off the "Output Text to Console" toggle when you are done debugging your shader.

Sometimes I wish there was an Inspect mode on the shader where it would allow you to pick a vertex on the shaderball and you'd see a little numbers appear next to all VOP inputs (or outputs) of the number calculated at that point. If the parameter hint was a "color" then it could show a tiny colour block too.

Another cool thing would be if you ctrl+mmb on an input that it'd temporarily set the Cf to that input and re-render the ball. It could make interacting with VOPs a little faster - far fewer clicks.

Until then, the Print VOP is our friend.

Sometimes I wish there was an Inspect mode on the shader where it would allow you to pick a vertex on the shaderball and you'd see a little numbers appear next to all VOP inputs (or outputs) of the number calculated at that point. If the parameter hint was a "color" then it could show a tiny colour block too.

Another cool thing would be if you ctrl+mmb on an input that it'd temporarily set the Cf to that input and re-render the ball. It could make interacting with VOPs a little faster - far fewer clicks.

Until then, the Print VOP is our friend.

totally agree with everything.. specially the ctrl+mmb.. since i spend most of the time (also when learning fom others people Hip files) by connecting various VOP nodes to the Cf to see the influence...

btw.. print VOP is ok ... but not really nice as a spreadsheet (and not that fast too)... i really wonder why ther's no spreadsheet in VOP ... any special reason?