Using LOPs lighting look dev work outside of LOPs

Anyone know if its possible to take the results of your lighting look dev work in LOPs and somehow use them elsewhere in Houdini say for instance to render in OUT context?

The whole lighting look dev workflow is to me the only compelling new LOPs-USD feature for the solo artist.

If by “OUT context” you mean render in mantra then the answer is no that’s never going to be possible because mantra takes IFD as input, not USD. Also, lookdev will typically be tied to whatever (Hydra compatible) renderer you are using. E.g lookdev done in Karma would not be meaningful to RenderMan (USD preview surface being the possible exception there). 

Are there specific workflows you are looking for?

dont take this for granted but i think USD is only supposed to live in the world of LOPs, which is a framework for it. SOP context doesn't seem to know anything about USD in the same way as it doesn't know anything about shader networks in your scene for example. you might possibly be able to export from LOPs as Alembic and import that into SOPs, but that's not currently possible as far as I know. 

btw. there is something called lopimport_SOP but it doesn't seem to do anything right now, and there is no docs for it

Edited by davpe

Similar to Alembic, there is a USD packed primitive that can be used to represent USD in sops.  The packed prim workflow has been around for a while now, prior to lops - it just never shipped as standard with Houdini. I believe the lopimport sop takes prims from the lop stage and populates them in the sop geometry network as USD packed prims. From there they can be unpacked to regular houdini geo, have their attributes modified, etc.

I’d expect geometry going back and forth between lops and sops to be pretty fluid and full-featured. Less so obviously for other types of scene data such as materials and lights which don’t belong so much in sops.