Linux Headache..

Hi

For kicks, i'm trying to run Houdini on Linux. I'm on a dual Xeon system, with a Quadro card from nvidia, and running Ubuntu 6.06 32Bit with Houdini 8.1.666. Driver installed and all. Houdini starts, has an accelerated interface, too, but all the fonts are horribly garbled. Menu entries called "????????" and "DDDDDDDDDDD" etc. I already tried a different font in resources, to no avail.

Any ideas?

Hey, might be the xorg 7.0 thing, try launching houdini using this , houfini -geometry 0+0+1280x1024, where 1280x1024 being your resolution, and if my memory is right and that was the correct way, it should fix, unless i'm thinking of another thing.

Hi

For kicks, i'm trying to run Houdini on Linux. I'm on a dual Xeon system, with a Quadro card from nvidia, and running Ubuntu 6.06 32Bit with Houdini 8.1.666. Driver installed and all. Houdini starts, has an accelerated interface, too, but all the fonts are horribly garbled. Menu entries called "????????" and "DDDDDDDDDDD" etc. I already tried a different font in resources, to no avail.

Any ideas?

This is a XGL problem and i don't solve it.

If you are running XGL, then OpenGL apps will be messed up (at least that's the case with Houdini and Quake). I was running XGL+compiz and my Houdini looked exactly like that. You can run a Houdini session with regular X on top of XGL, but the Houdini window remains stuck, can't be moved or minimized. Not sure if that can be fixed, I'm a linux noob myself. Anyways, if you are running XGL try starting Houdini like this:

DISPLAY=:0 houdini

Or if 0 doesn't work, try 1.

Speaking of Linux... I'm kinda liking it (Ubuntu 6.06), except... Gnome is sluggish compared to Windows, and XGL+compiz runs even more poorly for me. Dunno what that's all about... :unsure:

If you are running XGL, then OpenGL apps will be messed up (at least that's the case with Houdini and Quake). I was running XGL+compiz and my Houdini looked exactly like that. You can run a Houdini session with regular X on top of XGL, but the Houdini window remains stuck, can't be moved or minimized. Not sure if that can be fixed, I'm a linux noob myself. Anyways, if you are running XGL try starting Houdini like this:

DISPLAY=:0 houdini

Or if 0 doesn't work, try 1.

Speaking of Linux... I'm kinda liking it (Ubuntu 6.06), except... Gnome is sluggish compared to Windows, and XGL+compiz runs even more poorly for me. Dunno what that's all about... :unsure:

Why not to try some other distro, like Suse or RH, or go for some more seroius stuff like Gentoo or Debian? + try KDE (Kubutu in cintrast to Ubuntu in your case - it'salmost the same)