Reproject dirty animation for new point IDs

JH12

I'm revisiting a problem which I couldn't solve a while ago, as very much a part time Houdini user I'm struggling to work this out, and hoping someone may be able to give me a push in the right direction. I've simplified my question in hopes that it is more approachable. 

Basically, I'm dealing with a pretty dirty mesh of an actor which is coming out of a capture from a depth sensor (Azure Kinect).  Whilst sequential frames are fairly similar in shape, the topology is very different frame to frame - specifically the point IDs change almost randomly across every frame, as do the number of points.  
What I'm wanting to do, is see if there is a way to retopo or reproject this erratic frame sequence of mesh onto a new surface, and maintain a consistency of point ID. 

I've attached a simplified diagram to try to explain my problem and what I'm hoping to achieve. 

Thanks very much for any assistance with this, much appreciated.  

PointScatter.jpg

Edited by Fireandsmoke

On 03/01/2020 at 2:13 PM, Librarian said:

can You post first 9 frames and file :wub:

Sure, here is a sample, it's a very decimated example to make it easier to work with.  The .hip is nothing, its just a file sop for the supplied BGEO.  Thanks for taking a look at this, it's greatly appreciated.  

Azure_Test.zip

Edited by Fireandsmoke

Just took a look at your file. It looks like this geometry is projected from the camera, so your best bet would be to project UVs from the camera angle and look up the UV attribute to drive point position of a 2nd mesh. I'll give it a try and see if I can get a working .hip.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dgani said:

This is a lot cleaner, but I'm not sure it's what you want. Maybe it'll help you figure it out.

Azure_Test.zip

Yes!  That's just what I wanted, only had no idea how.  To stop the points changing every frame, I changed your "else" just set the unused points to Alpha = 0 rather than delete them, keeping the constancy of the point numbers on the grid.  So now I can do things like blend shapes or fx which reference the point IDs.  Thanks mate, much appreciated!

Edited by Fireandsmoke
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...