hou.setSessionModuleSource from variable

underscoreus

Hey guys,

I am trying to store some variables into the session source so I can easily get at it at any time. So far the tests I've been running have been working great, but I am not quiet sure how I can expand on the syntax to allow for variables to control the values set into the source.

This is the syntax I've used so far:

hou.setSessionModuleSource("variablename = 0")

However, as far as I've been able to figure out this will only allow for hard coded values, I am looking to insert the value from a variable instead of a hard coded value, like this:

mynum = 3

hou.setSessionModuleSource("variablename = mynum")

When I try this in the python shell I get the error back that "name 'mynum' is not defined" (along with some more text, most notably of which I guess is that it says the operation failed).

Do you guys have any tips on how I could make this work?

Sorry if this is very basic, I've been trying to look around for specific syntax examples but I am having kinda a hard time finding examples of actual syntax for the Houdini specific python commands.

Thanks for the read!

And having slept on it I just found a solution to my own problem. I don't know if its the most elegant solution, feel free to add other solutions if you guys have any because mine feels like a cheat.

myvarname = 'variablename'

mynum = 3

mystring = myvarname + ' = ' + str(mynum)

hou.setSessionModuleSource(mystring)

Essentially boils down to just creating the entire string before passing it into the setModuleSource command.

Thanks for the read!