Hi! I've been working lots of rigidbody simulation lately. I am happy with what Sidefx has done for RBD Workflow specially when they release houdini 18.

Sample workflow:

-Prep objects. Categories/separate like (GLASS,METAL,CONCRETE,WOOD) to Groups. You will use this for RBD configure.

-Clean objects. Check for holes, wrong normals, unused points,etc.(Clean Sop/Facet Sop)

-Check the UV.(This is super important after the simulation so that you will not have a hard time doing the Materials)

-Prefragment objects.(RBD Fracture Material). For the constraint i prefer doing it after the fracturing.

-Make inside UV for inside faces(UVunwrap selecting inside group).

-Cache Prefragments Per Object.(RBD I/O) 1 frame only.

-Make Constraint.

-RBD configure(this will help the solver a lot because you can set the density/type of material like GLASS,METAL,CONCRETE,WOOD) 

-RBD solver. Configure the Constraint for breaking, Forces and Collisions.

-RBD I/O to cache the simulation.

It is good for simple shots or scenes but when it comes to heavy scenes i notice that it is to heavy to load when opening the scene especially when you have lots of object to prefragment(RBD Fracture Material).

Anyone having the same problem? even if you cache your objects the scene is still heavy/too slow?

RBD material fracture is generally slow, although Sidefx has this new workflow I don't really prefer using this. It's not only about the speed but I feel it's hiding a lot of process that we used to do manually before which gave us a solid understanding of rbd workflow in Houdini and bullet solver. Coming to your problem if it's very slow try using different methods for fracturing, like booleans (rbd material fracture node also uses boolean under the hood in combination with voronoi) or use voronoi and try getting edge details using different methods, these should bring be helpful, also another thing that you can do is cache out the fractured geo in clusters or groups which is really helpful. Overall I don't like rbd material fracture node just because of this reason, if you want a lot of pieces it's extremely slow in home computers.

• Like 1