terrain generation in houdini

Hello,

I don't have any experience with terrains outside houdini. Are the terrain generation tools in houdini suitable for creating terrain with enough detail to look realistic close up, or is it better for background terrain or for seeing large quantities of terrain rather then photo realistic close ups? It seems like a lot of the terrains I see from houdini look good further away, but not so much close up. The ones that do look good close up you don't seem to actually see the terrain because grass, trees, rocks, and bushes are covering up the terrain. Any input would be helpful. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

If you can, have a look at Gaia or World Creator. To me these apps are much more intuitive, have MUCH faster erosion and create more realistic and more detailed results. You can output all kinds of maps you can use for rendering.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, habakuk said:

If you can, have a look at Gaia or World Creator. To me these apps are much more intuitive, have MUCH faster erosion and create more realistic and more detailed results. You can output all kinds of maps you can use for rendering.

world creator looks sick, dang.