When would you choose FEM over vellum tetrahedral softbody?

eolophus

In the vellum constraint features masterclass, John Lynch says that FEM is more accurate for solving objects with high elasticity, but he doesn't elaborate on that. I'm curious about more specifically when you would reach for the FEM solver over vellum's tet softbodies. I am familiar with tet softbodies, but not with FEM. Is FEM better at achieving certain effects? Anything about the FEM workflow that is better in certain situations? Is FEM just more accurate from a technical perspective, or do you think it actually gives better results?

FEM is certainly more physically accurate and it's possible to achieve very stiff materials that are independent of resolution

while Vellum is not independent of geometry resolution (even though Automatic Mass computation helps a bit) and it's impossible to achieve completely stiff materials unless the resolution is very low

overall Vellum is suitable for most softbody needs, however for proper muscle sim I'd think you'd want to go with FEM for example