AcharyaKC

How to achieve Earthquake Destruction in Houdini?

Posted (edited)

hey guys, hoping for little bit of knowledge here. When it comes to fracturing things in Houdini, almost everyone is showing walls and buildings crushed by giant ball or something that will hit. But here i m trying to achieve earthquake effect which is not by balls but cause by natural disaster, so its really hard to find example or tutorial abt that. Hope somebody can show me right direction jst brief. I do have have basic understanding of fracturing and glue stuff. Thank You

Edited by AcharyaKC

You could glue your object to a shaking plane or use a custom force with a distance falloff (or a mixture of both). Theres plenty graphs documenting the elevation/shear characteristics of real/synthetic earthquakes acceleration forces over time so that might be a good starting point.

fig4.png

If you can recreate the curve it should be easy to drive a force or position with that - I'll see if I have time in the evening since its an interesting topic.

Thank you for your time, i did animated ground plane and fracture wall with glue constraint. I did not get result as i wanted.

Hey there, sorry for being so late...busy week. I managed to get a decent result with a shaking force and a combination of soft constraints (for oscillation) and hard constraints (for clustering). This was a useful reference.

quake.gif.6fa4021a09523928a94eda504020197d.gif

earthquake2.hiplc

Edited by nuki
  • Like 1

Hi achary!

some good effect year before

A plane and a  sop transfor.

how hight the earthquake should  like ... there a new sop that hekp but that for after... you have you geo and in five 5 second wioooaaaah how hight the parameter must you say in second meters plus ? 

No issue, glad if I could help!
If you want to art direct the effect you can enable the outer glue constraints inside the dopnet and delete them manually inside the "break_cons" sop solver (to control the forming of cracks). You'd do this by adding the constraints to the "broken" prim group (eg. inside a wrangle by setting i@group_broken = 1;). Theres already a few in there breaking the soft constraints by their strech and breaking glue constraints based on force.
You could also make them stronger eg. in the Y direction using the dot product of the constraint direction and the y axis. That way the cracks could form more vertically.

Edited by nuki