Poly Reduce Sop Issu

SpencerL

I have a high res model that I am using the Poly Reduce SOP on. I am using the Poly Reduce based on the Distance option. My problem is that the distance threshold only allows me to enter a value no greater than 100. Am I missing something? The camera distance to my object is around 5000 so I need the distance threshold to be >5000. I am not sure what I am doing wrong...any suggestions would be great, thanks!

I think you misunderstand what the Distance Threshold parameter does. From the help,

Dist. Threshold: The world distance at which the polygons should be left at full detail.

This means that _no_ polygon reduction takes place when the distance to the camera is less than this. If the distance to your camera is 5000, I think you want polygon reduction right? Which means that a value of 100 is fine. As soon as your camera is within a distance of 100, your polygon will have the maximum number of polygons.

This means that _no_ polygon reduction takes place when the distance to the camera is less than this. If the distance to your camera is 5000, I think you want polygon reduction right? Which means that a value of 100 is fine. As soon as your camera is within a distance of 100, your polygon will have the maximum number of polygons.

The scene Im working with is on a pretty large scale. My camera will never be closer to the geo than 5000. So basically I dont want any reduction done when the distance is <5000, but as it is now it reduces when its <100. Therefore with my scene, everything is being reduced since all my geo is >100.

You can use the Percentage option with a custom fit() expression derived from the camera distance then. To get the camera distance, it's something like vlength(vtorigin("..", "../cam1"))

Thanks Edward, I started doing something similar in a VOP net but this seems to work just fine. I appreciate the help. I still wonder why the functionality of the Distance parameter of the PolyReduce SOP does not go above 100...

Thanks again.