How to constraint fractured geo to animated alembics?

ectomaniac

Hi all,

Does anyone have a workflow for attaching fractured geometry of an animated alembic, to the animated alembic itself?

For example, a moving vehicle that's animated to collide with something and continue moving (the whole sequence of how the vehicle moves is hand animated), so only some parts are fractured for the rbd simulation (like half of a plane's wing, some window glass, parts of the nose fly off), but the rest of the parts that aren't affected are animated via the alembic to continue moving.

I've tried attaching the constraints to the timeshifted alembic geo, then use transform pieces for animating the static objects, but i think my constraints are invulnerable right now?
They don't break and no forces can affect them, even if i set my strength values to 1.

I wish i could send an example file but i'm troubleshooting for work, so i can't actually do so.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated, and thank you anyone for taking the time to read.

Edited by ectomaniac

I mocked up something, it's fine coz you have a legit reason not to upload your file.

- in the pretend alembic: save out to get the main block crumbling, this will be the pretend alembic.

- in sim, it reads in the alembic, attaches a crossbar to the main block then sim, I left the smallconnectors constraint in there but didn't really use it..maybe just to get out of a tight spot.

- hope that helps...of course, there's no guarantee it would address your problem...coz I'm just second guessing here.

RBD_Cross.gif

vu_test_RBD.hiplc

22 hours ago, Noobini said:

I mocked up something, it's fine coz you have a legit reason not to upload your file.

- in the pretend alembic: save out to get the main block crumbling, this will be the pretend alembic.

- in sim, it reads in the alembic, attaches a crossbar to the main block then sim, I left the smallconnectors constraint in there but didn't really use it..maybe just to get out of a tight spot.

- hope that helps...of course, there's no guarantee it would address your problem...coz I'm just second guessing here.

RBD_Cross.gif

vu_test_RBD.hiplc

Thanks for such a quick reply dude!
I can't look at it right now, but i'll be doing that first thing tomorrow, and let you know!

EDIT: update, it worked enough for what i need! Thanks so much!!!

Edited by ectomaniac
update
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 1:37 PM, ectomaniac said:

Thanks for such a quick reply dude!
I can't look at it right now, but i'll be doing that first thing tomorrow, and let you know!

EDIT: update, it worked enough for what i need! Thanks so much!!!

great then....just that I had a closer look at my sim and you could see some wobbly ones at the front, so I just put the strength down to about 50 I think, that fixed it.

• 1 year later...

Gentlemen, just wanted to mention that this saved my ass. Ectomaniac, you are correct that there is very very little documentation about this very problem. I struggle with the whole "animated to sim" jump. Drives me crazy how many attributes and influences cannot be changed per frame to build a simulation.

• Like 2