Smoke follows surface

plazadelmar

I have a smoke and geo collision and I would like to smoke not bounce off the surface rather slide on it. Is it something you can solve with micro solvers or do you need to use particles sliding on the surface and use it as a smoke source?

Edited by plazadelmar

On 6/24/2020 at 6:41 PM, suesssebastian said:

Like fog on the ground or more like something emerging from a cloud ? 

More like billowy smoke wrapping up an object instead of bouncing off an object. With particles, you would probably solve it with collision detection and slide on the surface. I'm curious how to do this effect with smoke instead.

You could try the technique described here https://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=HoudiniDops#Pyro_stick_to_surface_with_project_non_divergent_sop, which is to source in a velocity field that pulls the smoke toward the collision surface, and once it's close to the surface, blend to a velocity that moves the smoke along the surface.

That said, I'm guessing you'll have an easier time running a particle sim and using that to source the density for your smoke, as you originally suspected.

• Thanks 1