Houdini 18 Group Expand Like in the Official launch video

thejedi

[video]https://vimeo.com/374766297[/video]

Hello, everyone

I was watching Houdini 18 Launch video and there is a demo showcasing the new Group Expand node in Houdini 18
Is there any one who knows how to make the animation like in the pictures.
In other words, does anyone know how to create the animation where the group expand node is making the octopus grow and change colors  gradually like a gradient in the example above

when I try to just add a group expand, it just selects polygons too quickly, its does not select polygons in a manner which is smooth, gradual or gentle like in the demo video, because in the demo it looks as if it was a gradient gently changing the colors and extrusions
the same with the colors animation, how can one make colors change gradually like in the video

Thank you

houdini_group_expand_1.jpg

houdini_group_expand_2.jpg

houdini_group_expand_3.jpg

Oh My goodness, It works!!!!!

Thank you so very much, Noobini

All I had to make sure of is that the group node had to have the option of kee in bounding region

I then animated the position of this group's bounding region so that it the effect will be animated coming from one side of the object

to the other, just as seen in the official video, I have attached the edited file

So, you see, Noobini, that the original video actually doesnt reveal much as to how it is accomplished

There is just no ways a person can do it using just the group expand node alone

Thank you once again, Noobini, I could not have done it without your help

Group Expand Animation by Noobini Animated.hiplc

well that's why Scott gave you a hint to use step attribute...as usual, it's not too hard....once you've done something else using similar workflow that is.

You could also explore MOPS if you like, it gives finer controls while the groupexpand naturally is 'discrete' in step growing.

MOPS can be found in the Tools section.

Edited by Noobini

Thank you Noobini

I know about mops, for me it feels like cheating if i use it because i think it uses presets, i prefer doing things the hard way like you did here by creating formulae etc... that way i can clearly see what exactly houdini is doing

Thank you so much once again

Edited by thejedi