Scatter Node Making Geo Disappear

Howdy team. I'm new to the forum, so apologies if this is a daft question.

I am following a FXPhD tutorial which has an old vers of Houdini and the nodes and parameters are sometimes different. 

In the exercise I'm doing, the tutor is copying some curves onto a grid mesh to make grass. He manipulates them, copies the curves to attach to the grid mesh with a copy to Geo node, then scatters them across the grid using a scatter Node. There is some scripting to alter the grass length etc. But the grid mesh Geo disappears. We can only see the grass. He gets the Geo to reappear again by checking the preserve Geo tick box in the scatter Node. This box isn't in my vers of Houdini, which is a current one. 

Does anyone know a fix to this problem? With mesh Geo disappearing when using a copy and scatter node to copy curves to mesh?

TIn other words, the curves are grass and the grid mesh is the ground. The ground disappears and I don't know how to get it back. 

Any help appreciated. I'm a beginner. Thanks. 

Btw I don't recommend watching any of the Houdini fxphd tutorials that aren't tagged "Recent Release" if you are just starting out with Houdini. Most of their Houdini courses were made years ago, and many of the core nodes used in those courses have changed substantially since.

(On the other hand, many of their Nuke courses are still current and quite good.)

Many workflows you may consider "fundamental" have changed since many of the courses were made, e.g. copy stamping is now discouraged, VEX is much more widely used now. I would recommend learning Houdini using current tutorials so that you know how to get basic things done, and then go back to older tutorials as needed to pick up the occasional production tip or trick.