Dust effect - car on a dirt road

art3mis

Hi guys. For a current project I am trying to create a realistic dust trail to be used in Unreal for a cinematic. Think car on a dirt road.
2 references
_41199034_rally7_get.jpg
637062.jpg

Was thinking the best approach would be to actually simulate it and create a flipbook.  To create this quite specific smoke-dust type effect are there any good tutorials for me to watch or actual .hips for me to deconstruct?

Edited by art3mis

my opinion u can use velocity filed in game engine for advect particles ,  but some times is little dirty way send it and then see it  in engine .

u can simulate your dust in the Houdini and then use velocity filed for advection particles , when u get believable result u can send your particle (csv point cache -- Niagara ) into the engine with the lab tools . 

for smoke maybe imposter sprites is better choise for 3d shape , if is possible for your shot .

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/56573/

Edited by Ultraman

• 8 months later...
On 9/11/2020 at 1:52 PM, art3mis said:

Hi guys. For a current project I am trying to create a realistic dust trail to be used in Unreal for a cinematic. Think car on a dirt road.
2 references
_41199034_rally7_get.jpg
637062.jpg

Was thinking the best approach would be to actually simulate it and create a flipbook.  To create this quite specific smoke-dust type effect are there any good tutorials for me to watch or actual .hips for me to deconstruct?

did you find a solution? I have the same problem I would like to add to a cinematics in Unreal a convincing dust trail