Game Engine Render

brucelay

• 2 years later...
I am now currently making a MTV. there is a shot I need to convert live footage's characters to CG rendered character. The director wanted it to be looked like the 3d game engine type of style. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you for your attentions!

my answer... tell your director, its a lot of work to do for you and youre team. First thing you have to is, to understand how games are work, most of the games works with sprites for particles. they uses normal maps, not displacement or bump. They got very small polycounts so you get a sharp edge on each character. and if you understand how a game works from graphical kind of view, you can create those inside your 3d animation. Its a lot of work. its hard lot of work... another way to reach the target is to integrate a game engine into your 3d application. then you can texture it, light it, animate and simulate it. after that you can define some cameras wich you can capture with a screen capture software...

but its hard too^^

ok i hope i can help you

see you..

caio

do you have some references?

what type of game, or what exactly your director is looking for from the game look

there are so many different styles in 3d games that i can't imagine what you have in mind

but yes, you'll probably need to mimic some techniques used in games, like prebaked lighting/textures, low poly with normal maps(if this is what your director likes)

maybe he is also looking for animation type to be more like blended together from different clips/loops

but i don't know what you are exactly after, so it is difficult to help

my answer would be, ask for references and mimic the parts your director like in them