Initial State Problems

CinnamonMetal

I'm trying to setup an initial state for particles while following this tutorial;

https://youtu.be/CmE_EXRZ2ck

The tutorial shows one frame being setup for the initial state, but when moving the timeline; unlike in my case, where as when I move the time line past frame 1, the initial state disappears. In the tutorial, when all the birth settings are set to 0 except the Impulse Activation, it doesn't matter what frame you're on the initial state of the particles do no disappear ?

3 hours ago, ejr32123 said:

hmm, I just tried it and it worked for me. Do you accidentally have play simulation on? I can give you my file if you want to see it. But its working for me.

image.thumb.png.b6844dbaab372a713e1a5233bad991c8.png

I never had playback simulation turned on; that is what I don't understand why after the first frame the initial state disappears ?

1 hour ago, CinnamonMetal said:

I included the scene and the cached initial particles.  

InitialState.zip

Hey, I looked at your scene. Since I don't have the JawMesh I couldn't fully look at it, but if I stick your initial state in a project I make, it goes away too. But here is the weird thing, If I make a popnet, set your file to be initial state go to frame one, add a dop io import the points and delete all the attributes, then make a new popsim and and use your points, then save a new inital state, then load it back it, it works fine. When I open your scene, any initial state I use/create from your popnet doesn't work. I can take an initial state from another scene I made that works for me, but if I stick in your pop net it doesnt work, lol. What version of houdini are you using? I was gonna try to completely remake your scene, but I dont have the 2 files required. So the only thing I can think of is maybe some attribute going into the pop solver is messing it up, or maybe its because you have cache simulation off in your dop net, or maybe you just need to recreate your popnet again. I am using houdini 18.5, but I keep getting errors in all your pop nodes.

@CinnamonMetal Actually I just got something working in your scene, but I did it with a pig head cause I dont have access to your geo! what i did was switch cache simulation on in the dop net. After doing that, I restarted houdini. Now, If I load an initial state it works. So I guess try turning on cache simulation in on the dopnet, then restart houdini. then resave your initial state and see if it works (make sure to disable your current initial state that is not working before resaving a new initial state).

image.png.9bd8a81c2daa84a18a3fd9373f8ee364.png

image.thumb.png.75dcc1387e12f3a88712186f50957a9c.png

Edited by ejr32123

If the initial state is working, why when disabling the scatter node and moving the timeline is it not showing just the initial state particles but points on the geometry; shouldn't it work when the scatter node is disabled ?

Also with an initial state for the DOP Network (PopNet) and I add a Pop wind, the initial state particles are not effected by wind when moving the timeline ?

initialStateParticles.gif

Instead of using initial state, can't you just use what ever frame you want as a source in a second pop sim? Use a dop io on the first pop sim, grab the particles, and use them as a source in a second pop sim. As long as you don't delete any attributes, you can save things like velocity, etc which will carry on to the next sim.