beginner trying to use an old pyro technique in the new pyro work flow

Potassium

Hello, total beginner here. I was watching a pyro tutorial that used the old (Houdini 16) pyro work flow. They used the smokeless flame shelf tool on a sphere, then in SOPS they used the original fluid source just for the fuel attribute and then another fluid source just for temperature. They then used a transform on the temperature fluid source to animate it to pass through the fuel thus triggering the simulation. Does anyone know how I could achive the same thing in the new (Houdini 18) pyro work flow? 

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum.  You're experiencing the opposite side of that double-edged sword for a software package that is constantly evolving - old methods you rely upon tend to go out of date and you need to adapt to the newer workflows.  Older Houdini tutorials are still good for wrapping your head around the workflow concepts (creating sources and passing data between contexts, etc.) but you will save yourself a lot of headaches and hair-pulling if you get up to speed with the current workflow instead of trying to retrofit older tutorials (trust me on this, I've wasted enough time of my own doing just that).

If you understand the concepts of setting fields for fuel/temperature etc. using SOPs geometry fed into DOPs, you should be able to sort out how to do something similar using the new workflow methods as well - I'd suggest checking out some of the tutorials on SideFX's channel https://www.youtube.com/c/houdini3d/search?query=pyro to get a feel of the new workflow and go from there. 

Worst-case, if you're unable to get it to work, post your working .hip file here and a link to the tutorial you're trying to replicate and I'm sure someone will help you out (note many questions in the forum requesting workflows that don't post at least a simple file to show they tried on their own don't get much response).

• Like 1