Coatings - Iridescence

Jens

Och, sorry, I thought this is your screen shot (I know people still working in H8.2!). This file should open in some version of Houdini. Strange it doesn't work for H11.1 at all. I can't check it now, but are you sure nothing is there?

Just by inspecting hip file in text editor I can tell you, the shader lives in /vex context (not /shop), and nodes you're asking about are from top to bottom: 3xRamp, Float2Vector, If subnet and Multiply Vops. This doesn't help much though, since you have subnet to recreate too, not to mention some parameters have their values you cannot see (though you could inspect them from a file like me).

I'm pretty sure some build of Houdini will open that scene, alternatively try some older build, like H10, but make sure first it's not already there in current build, because I hardly believe Houdini fails to at least load nodes (it could fail on compile).

Edited by SYmek

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Och, sorry, I thought this is your screen shot (I know people still working in H8.2!). This file should open in some version of Houdini. Strange it doesn't work for H11.1 at all. I can't check it now, but are you sure nothing is there?

Just by inspecting hip file in text editor I can tell you, the shader lives in /vex context (not /shop), and nodes you're asking about are from top to bottom: 3xRamp, Float2Vector, If subnet and Multiply Vops. This doesn't help much though, since you have subnet to recreate too, not to mention some parameters have their values you cannot see (though you could inspect them from a file like me).

I'm pretty sure some build of Houdini will open that scene, alternatively try some older build, like H10, but make sure first it's not already there in current build, because I hardly believe Houdini fails to at least load nodes (it could fail on compile).

well! i found it the shading network in the Vex. :) thanks alot. but how this works! usually we do all the shading in the shop network and assign it to the surfaces, but now its in the vex ho ca i assin this to the models and check how it works ?

as i am new to Vex and i wud like to learn more abt it! i am sorry if i am asking too silly questions!

thanks!

You either compile it to Operator Type: RMB-> "Make Shop Type" (or something similar, can't check, sorry), or the easiest way is to copy/paste nodes to a new Material SHOP, or just make it from scratch :). Hey, you've just wanted to recreate it from a picture!

edit: Material SHOP (not Sop)

Edited by SYmek

You either compile it to Operator Type: RMB-> "Make Shop Type" (or something similar, can't check, sorry), or the easiest way is to copy/paste nodes to a new Material SOP, or just make it from scratch :). Hey, you've just wanted to recreate it from a picture!

so this means Vex and shop is almost similar!..

Yea!! i am trying to understand, the iridescence Shader how it works and i want to break it down my way!! i will sure need all Your help to complete this! :) thanks

• 7 years later...