possible vellum glitch?

evanrudefx

hello!
I encountered this strange problem, possibly a glitch. I have a very simple scene with a line that has a vellum string constraint attached to it. I added some point velocity to add motion. For some reason when I change the substeps on the vellum solver it ignores the incoming value. In fact, some substep values even make it go the opposite direction, some values don't move at all. You can see in my video when I change the substeps on the dopnet it remains fine. Am I doing something wrong?
thanks

eidt: I forgot to mention it does the same thing if I emit vellum from points and and tell it to copy the v attribute from the instance points.

vellum.hiplc

Edited by ejr32123

I reported it as a bug, the response was:

"It should work properly if you set the substeps in the vellum solver down to 1.
If you need to increase the substeps, please do so in the top dopnet node. This will ensure that both constraints and velocity are in the same substep."

So I guess its not a bug then. Still seems weird to me.

Edited by ejr32123

Sometimes Support is a bit tricky to be convinced that something is a bug. In this case you are both wrong - this has nothing to do with the constraints - in fact if you remove the constraints  from the emission you'll still see the same problem. At the same time it cannot be considered as a bug, as the object is not set up correctly.

Vellum sometimes need specific attributes to behave like expected. So the solution here is to add mass attribute and you are good to go. Just change Mass from "Unchanged" to  "Set Uniform" for example and it should work.

Edited by rayman
  • Like 3