Alembic export to Maya--color set not read

bentway23

This might be more of a Maya question, but I have yet to find a Maya forum where one can find an answer within a year . . . . (Also, I've Googled aplenty and this question doesn't appear to have been asked since 2014.)

I'm exporting an alembic of geo for use in Maya. I've made sure the Cd values are promoted to vertices so Maya can read them, but when I import it into Maya, on the first frame (1000.0) the colors are clearly there in the viewport, and in Mesh Display-->Color Set Editor Cd(RGBA) shows. The thing is, the minute I change frames it is gone, not appearing in the viewport, not showing up through Arnold's User Data Color, and not in the color set editor--even if I go back to frame 1000 it is gone. I've tried it both with and without "export vertex colors" checked in the Arnold tab on the shape node in Maya and even if it's just on frame 1000(.0) with the color set showing Arnold's user color node isn't seeing it (or piping it into the render, at least).

If I bring the import back into Houdini it works great. What am I doing wrong?