Hi guys,

I am creating an HDA where you put the mesh and textures. What it does is that it saves those files to disk with proper names basically.

However, the problem is when the texture has UDIMs. I can't find a way how to export UDIMs from Houdini. Right now the export is happening in COP network which doesn't support UDIMs, only sequences.

Is there any way how to export UDIM textures like the baker does but without baking them? Just reexport/renaming?

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shamanek,

You can use a baketexture node within a ropnet that you can put in a SOP network. 

Camera: You need one.

Texture Format: UDIM

For UV Object 1 use the node that has the UV tile(s) you want to export. For example if it's a null called OUT_DOOR in the same context level as your ropnet, preserve relative path by entering "../../OUT_DOOR".

Output Picture 1: You can output one tile, or the set if you have more than one UDIM in your UVs. There is special UDIM tile syntax:

In a Mac a sample Output Picture 1 string is: "/Volumes/MyVolume/AFolderName/UDIM_%(UDIM)d.exr".

The above string will put one image per tile starting with the lowest numbered tile as exrs into the folder, named like "UDIM_1001.exr" and "UDIM_1002.exr".

The images are solid white for the UV islands, black background. I haven't figured out a way to save the solid islands into the alpha channel, but I'm sure there is one. 

Under Images>Main uncheck Extract Image Planes. Leave everything unchecked. Add an extra image plane. VEX variable uv. VEX Type float type. Name the new channel anything you like.

Under Unwrapping set Unwrap Method to UV to Surface. UV Attribute: uv.

UDIM Post Process: No Post Processing.

Good luck!

On 4. 4. 2021 at 3:48 AM, chrishartedits said:

Hi Shamanek,

You can use a baketexture node within a ropnet that you can put in a SOP network. 

Camera: You need one.

Texture Format: UDIM

For UV Object 1 use the node that has the UV tile(s) you want to export. For example if it's a null called OUT_DOOR in the same context level as your ropnet, preserve relative path by entering "../../OUT_DOOR".

Output Picture 1: You can output one tile, or the set if you have more than one UDIM in your UVs. There is special UDIM tile syntax:

In a Mac a sample Output Picture 1 string is: "/Volumes/MyVolume/AFolderName/UDIM_%(UDIM)d.exr".

The above string will put one image per tile starting with the lowest numbered tile as exrs into the folder, named like "UDIM_1001.exr" and "UDIM_1002.exr".

The images are solid white for the UV islands, black background. I haven't figured out a way to save the solid islands into the alpha channel, but I'm sure there is one. 

Under Images>Main uncheck Extract Image Planes. Leave everything unchecked. Add an extra image plane. VEX variable uv. VEX Type float type. Name the new channel anything you like.

Under Unwrapping set Unwrap Method to UV to Surface. UV Attribute: uv.

UDIM Post Process: No Post Processing.

Good luck!

Hi,

thank you but this exports the UV layout as a texture.

What I am looking for is exporting textures that are connected to the imported mesh as UDIMS. :)