Hellium balloon colission, wind, etc help

Lampay

setup_v01t02.hiplcHello friends
Today I need particle advice.
I would like to make a very simple balloon of hellium that comes out of a corridor and goes up to the sky.
I did everything, color management etc but no way to find an easy way to make them react to each other.
I join you my scene you can maybe help me :-)
I look forward to learning and improving myself on this point.

setup_v01t02.hiplc

modeling_wall.abc

camera.abc

Edited by Lampay
add some items

The scene is missing the wall geometry and your DOP Network, so you should include them to make it easier for others to help you.  If you intend to just use particles, unfortunately copying to particles will not be able to make the balloons collide with each other - check out Vellum in order to do this, there is even a Balloon preset you can try and lots of tutorials out there :)

14 hours ago, ryew said:

Il manque la géométrie du mur et votre réseau DOP à la scène, vous devez donc les inclure pour permettre aux autres de vous aider plus facilement. Si vous avez l'intention d'utiliser uniquement des particules, malheureusement, la copie vers des particules ne pourra pas faire entrer les ballons en collision les uns avec les autres - consultez Vellum pour ce faire, il existe même un préréglage Balloon que vous pouvez essayer et de nombreux tutoriels:)

OUps 

sorry i just added the ABCs he missed
I deleted my DOP because it did not bring any good and I wanted to leave on a solid basis with your advice :-)
I will try to find this for VELLUM if it can work :-)

Hello
I just tried to turn my balloons into a velum, but for the moment it is falling, I am still looking for the parameters so that it goes up and collides with the wall and the ceiling.
And add a kind of wind that comes from the back before it rises out of the door

do you have any advice for me?

setup_v01t02.hiplc

camera.abc

modeling_wall.abc

Heyo, I've had a look at your file.

I guess I'll go over the solutions in a list for easier readability.

1. Making the balloons float - To do this I simply did it quick and dirty by changing the gravity from -9.8 which is propper earth gravity to something like 1. The higher you put this the faster they fly up. Of course this is not a very elegant way of doing it but I'm unsure if there is a way to set a vellum object to have a weight lighter than air so that it will float away even if the gravity is set to its default value.
  2. Adding wind - To add the wind I simply used the "pop wind" node inside the simulation. Quickest and best way I know of to make some nice wind with some added noise.
  3. Collision - To make your balloons collide with stuff in a dopnet you'll need to use the "static object" node plugged into a merge node somewhere in your tree (note that this has to be plugged in "to the left" of the sim geometry or you'll need to change the collision relationship of the merge node to "mutual"). This brings the geometry into your sim and allows stuff to collide with it. However, for your case this is slightly different. Whenever you import alembics into Houdini they come in as "Packed alembic primitives", when you want to use geometry as a collider it is often the best to have it as plain geometry, so for this, you'd need to place down an "unpack" node and then possibly a "convert" node since when you unpack alembics they come out as "polysoups" instead of normal meshes.
    But, one thing I noticed is that your geometry does not seem like it would work very well as collision geometry. After unpacking and converting your alembic I can see that multiple of your faces are "z fighting", aka they are on top of each other. This is a big no no when the geometry is going to be used in any kind of simulation, whether for collision or the actual sim geometry. It all has to be squeaky clean and watertight or you'll run into issues. My solution here was to just make a simple box for the ceiling and each wall.
  4. Faster sim time - To improve the sim time I've simply reduced the number of polygons in your balloons which means there is less data for the sim to worry about. Often times in cloth sims you can get away with simming pretty low res stuff and then subdivide the geometry afterwards, there is a handy option to do this in the "vellum post-process" node.

On another note, I've gone from using your autodopnet to using the sop version of the vellum solver just based purely on my own preference. I find it just easier and quicker to use the sop version of this solver when it comes to plugging in colliders and constraints rather than write out all of the paths etc. The last thing I'll say is that I'd always recommend trying to make things to scale when doing physics simulations. 1 unit in Houdini is 1 meter in real-world units and I've noticed that your balloons and building seem somewhat small for that. The scale is not a super important thing but it is a thing to keep in mind to make your sims go as smoothly as possible and give you the best result with the least amount of tweaking.

Hope some of that info can be useful!
Do note that I changed the scene in a non-commercial version so you might want to look at the scene and try to replicate it in or copy the node to a limited commercial scene so it does not limit you in any way.

setup_v01t02.hipnc

3 hours ago, underscoreus said:

Heyo, j'ai jeté un œil à votre dossier.

Je suppose que je vais passer en revue les solutions dans une liste pour une lisibilité plus facile.

1. Faire flotter les ballons - Pour ce faire, je l'ai simplement fait rapidement et sale en changeant la gravité de -9,8 qui est la gravité de la terre appropriée à quelque chose comme 1. Plus vous mettez cela haut, plus ils volent vite. Bien sûr, ce n'est pas une façon très élégante de le faire, mais je ne suis pas sûr qu'il existe un moyen de définir un objet en vélin pour qu'il ait un poids plus léger que l'air afin qu'il flotte même si la gravité est réglée sur sa valeur par défaut. .
  2. Ajout de vent - Pour ajouter le vent, j'ai simplement utilisé le nœud "pop wind" à l'intérieur de la simulation. Le moyen le plus rapide et le meilleur que je connaisse pour faire un bon vent avec un peu de bruit supplémentaire.
  3. Collision - Pour que vos ballons entrent en collision avec des éléments dans un dopnet, vous devrez utiliser le nœud "objet statique" branché sur un nœud de fusion quelque part dans votre arbre (notez que cela doit être branché "à gauche" de la carte SIM géométrie ou vous devrez changer la relation de collision du nœud de fusion en "mutuelle"). Cela amène la géométrie dans votre sim et permet à des objets d'entrer en collision avec elle. Cependant, pour votre cas, c'est légèrement différent. Chaque fois que vous importez des alambics dans Houdini, ils entrent en tant que "primitives d'alambics emballés", lorsque vous souhaitez utiliser la géométrie comme collisionneur, il est souvent préférable de l'avoir sous forme de géométrie simple, donc pour cela, vous devez placer un " décompressez le nœud "puis éventuellement un nœud" converti "car lorsque vous décompressez les alambics, ils sortent sous forme de" polysoups "
    Mais, une chose que j'ai remarquée, c'est que votre géométrie ne semble pas fonctionner très bien en tant que géométrie de collision. Après avoir déballé et converti votre alambic, je peux voir que plusieurs de vos visages sont "z combats", c'est-à-dire qu'ils sont les uns sur les autres. C'est un grand non non lorsque la géométrie va être utilisée dans n'importe quel type de simulation, que ce soit pour la collision ou la géométrie réelle de la simulation. Tout doit être parfaitement propre et étanche, sinon vous rencontrerez des problèmes. Ma solution ici était de faire une simple boîte pour le plafond et chaque mur.
  4. Temps de simulation plus rapide - Pour améliorer le temps de simulation, j'ai simplement réduit le nombre de polygones dans vos ballons, ce qui signifie qu'il y a moins de données dont la simulation doit se soucier. Souvent, dans les simulations en tissu, vous pouvez vous en tirer avec des trucs de très basse résolution, puis subdiviser la géométrie par la suite, il y a une option pratique pour le faire dans le nœud "vélin post-processus".

Sur une autre note, je suis passé de l'utilisation de votre autodopnet à l'utilisation de la version sop du solveur de vélin uniquement en fonction de mes propres préférences. Je trouve qu'il est juste plus facile et plus rapide d'utiliser la version sop de ce solveur lorsqu'il s'agit de brancher des collisionneurs et des contraintes plutôt que d'écrire tous les chemins, etc. La dernière chose que je dirai est que je recommanderais toujours d'essayer de le faire. mettre les choses à l'échelle lors de simulations physiques. 1 unité à Houdini fait 1 mètre en unités du monde réel et j'ai remarqué que vos ballons et votre bâtiment semblent un peu petits pour cela. L'échelle n'est pas une chose très importante, mais c'est une chose à garder à l'esprit pour que vos sims se déroulent aussi bien que possible et vous donner le meilleur résultat avec le moins de modifications possibles.

J'espère que certaines de ces informations peuvent être utiles!
Notez que j'ai changé la scène dans une version non commerciale afin que vous souhaitiez peut-être regarder la scène et essayer de la répliquer ou de copier le nœud dans une scène commerciale limitée afin que cela ne vous limite en aucune façon.

setup_v01t02.hipnc

Woaw thank you very much for this feedback,
I admit that I still have a little trouble understanding everything, but I took the same route as you and it works. I have to find a way that my ball does not deform by going up a little bit by increasing the internal pressure?
Other questions the addition of a "wind corridor" does this at what level?
I would like my balloons to come out of the end of the corridor and go up directly along the wall so that I recover the shadows during rendering for a compositing on an existing shoot.
It is clearly very interesting the velum but not easy to understand ahhaha

I put my update in PJ 

setup_v01t04.hiplc

You are right that you could try to stiffen up the pressure constraints to tr to minimize the squishing of the balloons. However, I think my implementation of using gravity as the main driving force for the motion of the ballons was too heavy-handed. If gravity is always pushing on the balloon you might need to make the pressure constraints very hard to be able to resist it and prevent the balloon from squishing. If you want them to float down the hallway then you might want to consider using a wind force instead, maybe if you dive into the vellum solver and place a "pop wind" node and then set the direction you might have some better luck.