Hello!

I've been using Houdini as a TD for about 2 years now and I just recently got my hands on a C4D and X-Particles license. Playing around with X-Particles it has become apparent that Houdini can make something fairly simple (like particle simulations with constraints) very difficult.

For these past 2 years I've been trying to get, specifically, thick liquid like particle constraints (not just viscous but stringy) working in Houdini and I've never been able to get results I can be completely happy with. I've been able to achieve "sticky" effects using vellum grains and vdb meshing before as seen here, however, I was always after a different effect using a particle simulation that was NOT attached to a mesh but still behaved in a similar "sticky" fashion when coming in contact with colliders. After trying this over and over again in Houdini and having unsatisfactory results, I've now experimented with X-Particles and I was a slightly frustrated by all of the time I had spent in Houdini and how simple and quick it was to achieve exactly the effect I wanted in X-Particles.

In the video below you can see what effect I was after in XP. I was curious if anyone at all has re-created this stringy liquid effect in Houdini with POPs? It seems clear to me that FLIP fluids are not really the answer for small scale simulations where you want a "stringy" surface tension look. I've gotten close with FLIP and vdb meshing in Houdini, but it never looks as natural and real as X-Particles. I've heard that maybe the POP Fluid node may be the answer (here), but I'm curious if anyone has attempted these stringy constraints in a Houdini project! Any Houdini workflow tips for such an effect would be appreciated because the cost of X-Particles and C4D is not something I plan on paying for the rest of my days!

Edited by edanimation