Select / Delete inside Primitives

schmigel

Is there a way to procedurally select primitives that are inside a mesh?
I tried mask by feature and ray but cannot find a way to select the inside primitives.

In the images I show the primitives that are inside (selected manually).

1.PNG

2.PNG

Hey!
Inside faces can be tricky. Here are a few ways that might be able to help you that I can think of right now:
1. Are the inside faces detached from the rest of the geo? If so have a look at the "measure" and "connectivity" nodes. The connectivity can give you an "id" attribute for each detached piece and the "measure" node can measure the surface area of each piece. So if the primitives are detached then they will be a lot smaller than the main model so you should be able to then just do a blast based on the attribute value from the measuring.

2. Depending on how the model is you could maybe have a look at the "unshared edges" option in the "group" node. Just add a "group" node, then disable "base group" and then inside "include by edges" check the "unshared edges" checkbox. This should add any primitive with edges that don't connect to another primitive to the group, then you can blast it. This could of course cause other issues if there are other places in your model that also have unshared edges but could be worth a try.

Hope one of those can help you solve your problem.

Hi underscoreus, I appreciate your reply.
Unfortunately none of the options could work because the inside meshes are not separated and they share edges with the exterior primitives.
I've found a way using FUSE + BOOLEAN on itself. It kinda work but I guess I need to test on different meshes to be sure that it'll work on many different scenarios.

• Like 1

Try taking a look at this entagma tutorial from 15:40-20:00 -- He uses a vdb's sdf value to move points from inside the mesh to the surface -- you could probably modify this approach to fit your needs.