Sign in to follow this  
madebygeoff

Getting IK legs to parent to hips

I've been looking to moving my rigging set up over to KineFX, but there's still a couple of things that seem strangely counter-intuitive. One of them is parenting the roots of IK chains.

In most any other program, if you parents the roots of your IK chains (your L and R hip) to your pelvis, then move your pelvis up and down, the hips will move, the feet will say planted and everything in between will be driven by the IK chain. In KineFX, parenting the roots just moves the entire chain up and down, like in an FK rig.

You can get something like the usual pelvis behavior with the center of mass control in the full body IK, but it's not as precise as the traditional set-up. Ideally you'd have both in your rig.

I'm sure I could rig up a VOP with some offsets to drive the foot IK control counter to the movement of the pelvis, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks for this Mestela! That works in a way, however I now get the issue that my reverse foot stays planted (ball, toe, heel) even though they're children of the ankle. The ankle follows nicely though! Attached a screenshot of the leg setup with reverse foot IK_setup.thumb.png.14d62b16d2a5157c2d987e625e106aa6.png