I Bring In Some Mocap Animated Bones Into Houdini

frankvw

Hi!

So I am still working on yet more crowd sim stuff. I get supplied to me a small library of animated meshes that I bring into houdini and do my thing. Now and again, I want to make certain changes to certain characters but just very small animation changes, not worth really bothering the character guy with. Now, I did a little experiment where I bring in the pose geometry and some mocap animated bones and use the autorigging and it works just fine for me to add my little changes to feet and hand positions.

The thing that I have been wondering about during this process (not using the character tools very often in houdini but thinking a bit about how takes and layering works in houdini aniamtion) is can I apply FK handles to the mocap skeleton bones that I have imported? So that the handles will follow the existing animation but if I wanted to alter the animation slightly, I could just pick up the handle? Has anyone ever come across a method that can allow IK to be added to existing skeleton animations?

Cheers!

Frank

Hi,

No, I already have bones that are animated from the mocap process so that they each are driven by existing animation curves. The question is can it be possible to 'layer' IK handles onto this so that the existing toe,heels, etc move the newly added handles in houdini, but if I then wanted to move the handles, it would add extra animation like normal IK would. I can't see a way of getting that feedback to work - but then again, I don't know if any mocap software can do that 'post' capture either.

Cheers

• 2 months later...
Hi,

No, I already have bones that are animated from the mocap process so that they each are driven by existing animation curves. The question is can it be possible to 'layer' IK handles onto this so that the existing toe,heels, etc move the newly added handles in houdini, but if I then wanted to move the handles, it would add extra animation like normal IK would. I can't see a way of getting that feedback to work - but then again, I don't know if any mocap software can do that 'post' capture either.

Cheers

Your mocap bones could drive a second set of IK bones. (The geometry could be captured to this second set)For instance the effector of the IK bones could be parented to the second mocap bone. And ofcourse you could have controls in between them for layered control.

Edited by Jim Su