Is there a way I can easily find attributes for specific node parameters?

Smicksus

Hi there,

I'm still a newbie in Houdini but I realy enjoy learning it! Now I have a question which realy can make my life easier.
Is there a way I can find the attribute name of specific node parameter easily?

For example:

I have a mountain SOP and wanted to change the "height" parameter via an attribute wrangle.
I know that I can access this one by using @height in a wrangle, which I found via a google search. But is there a way I can find this out in Houdini itself?
This would save me a lot of time.

I hope I'm clear in my question.

• Like 1

In the parameter pane, when you rollover the name of a parameter a tooltip appears. You can see the reel name of the parameter, wich is the atribute name.

Sometime it's the same as the parameter name (the label), like height, sometime it's different.

Thanks for that, that was what I was looking for :)

Can you maybe help me with a follow-up question? I just tested it out with a simple attribute wrangle, where I made a polygon sphere and looked what the attribute of the frequency is. Which should be @freq then?
I made a simple expression with :

@freq = 4;

This should set the sphere at a frequency of 4 but it doesn't do it? Am I missing anything?

17 hours ago, flcc said:

In the parameter pane, when you rollover the name of a parameter a tooltip appears. You can see the reel name of the parameter, wich is the atribute name.

Sometime it's the same as the parameter name (the label), like height, sometime it's different.

Thanks for that, that was what I was looking for :)

Can you maybe help me with a follow-up question? I just tested it out with a simple attribute wrangle, where I made a polygon sphere and looked what the attribute of the frequency is. Which should be @freq then?
I made a simple expression with :

@freq = 4;

This should set the sphere at a frequency of 4 but it doesn't do it? Am I missing anything?

it's not work like this.
I should have added that you can't always use this name as an attribute

You can use attributes that have been previously defined in the parameter fields, but not all parameters are recognised as attributes.
Some nodes recognise a number of attributes, notably predefined attributes, like pscale, orient, v etc... and some nodes recognise some of their parameters as attributes, such as Vellum Sop nodes,
but explaining the mechanism of attributes is beyond the scope of a single post.
At least by me whose English language is not my strength. :lol:

I suggest you take a look here :
https://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/?title=Houdini

Edited by flcc