Auto UV tree trunk and branches (similar to Maya Auto seams)

anicg

Hi,

Maya auto seams gives an excellent starting point (seams) to UV tree trunk and branches, you only need a few tweaks if any and you're done.

I'm trying to do it in Houdini, I've tried the Labs auto Uv using multiple methods (UV autoseam,...) but I don't get anything usable.

Any idea?

I have attached an example geometry (bgeo file)

tree_and_branches.bgeo

Edited by anicg

Hi Mani,

although the topology of the geometry you have provided has little in common with the tree in the video and although Lab's Auto UV does what's expected, I suspect you'd want long branches to be split up into several UV islands to maximize UV space. If so, you could procedurally select rings by their edge length using the group node and feed those seams into the UV auto seam- and the UV flatten-node.

tree_uv.hiplc

I have looked at the UV mapping done by speedtree, and all the islands have straight lines on all sides except where it connects with another branch/ground.

I'm trying to have this UV mapping done procedurally in Houdini, not more than 1 seam, cutting the whole branch/trunk the speedtree way.

I have attached screen-prints for the trunk, the roots, the branch, the twig, it's the same approach that's makes tree truly seamless.

Any idea?

speedtree_analysis.JPG

speedtree_trunck.JPG

speedtree_branch.JPG

speedtree_root.JPG

speedtree_twig.JPG

Edited by anicg