Optimizing instanced volumes with redshift

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a sky full of clouds - using VDBs. I have set up an early proof-of-concept test, can render it, and it all works out of the box. What I'm struggling with is how to maximally optimize it. I have seen an Arnold setup in Houdini, similar to mine, with 3000 cloud objects - using ass files and rendering an HD1080 frame in around 5 minutes, and using less than 100Mb of memory. Pretty efficient!

My Redshift test, has a similar number of VDBs exported out as a single rs proxy which is then instanced across scattered points on a grid. I expected this to speed up the rendering process significantly. Sadly, it actually takes over 4 hours at the same resolution and uses more than 5Gb of memory!

What I want to do is leverage the power of proxies and instancing to render this setup and at least match what can be done in Arnold - Redshift is after all a definitively faster render engine. Does anyone know an efficient and effective workflow for this type of solution please? I feel like I've missed something here; as usually Redshift is very fast.

Many Thanks,

Scott

CloudTest1.PNG