Consulting on fibre/wire systems

xarthur

I'm a bit new to Houdini and am trying to simulate a "fill power" test of the down feathers.

Fill Power Test

I can do this for a few spheres with the FEM system. However, this is slow and won't show the fibres...

Would it be possible to do it in a fibre-like way?

The down cluster looks like this: down cluster

Each unit could be as simple as "a small core with many curves grown on it".

I tried vellum hair, but it seems hard to attach the hair in a stiff way and have high stiffness. Also, I cannot make curved hair work, only straight lines.

I'm considering the "wire" system at the moment. 

But most of the tutorials I can find online are for simulating ropes... I guess what I need is something similar to a "sphere with tree branches grown in all directions", and simulate a compression test with a lot of these spheres...

My question is, is Houdini the right tool for something like this, and, what should be a good way to approach it?

Could you just do a ton of 3x3 polys with random bent shape, vellum, squash em, texture with a cluster texture? :P Or you want them to be completely volumetric?  Could try the polygon "Asterisk" like in games, with a fuzz cluster texture and it would sort of have depth until squashing....

Simulating every strand etc would be a bit mad but doable if you really needed vellum hairs.

Edited by HM_2020

On 29/01/2022 at 1:45 AM, HM_2020 said:

Could you just do a ton of 3x3 polys with random bent shape, vellum, squash em, texture with a cluster texture? :P Or you want them to be completely volumetric?  Could try the polygon "Asterisk" like in games, with a fuzz cluster texture and it would sort of have depth until squashing....

Simulating every strand etc would be a bit mad but doable if you really needed vellum hairs.

Unfortunately not.

I'd like to test out the how different parameters (fibre length, number, etc.) will affect the results. So no volumetric.

I don't need too many strands actually, FEM rod module may also do that, but the material available for rod-based FEM in Houdini is very limited. And might be slow.