M1 Max Performance

Fakit

Hi Everyone,

First: I only need advice on M1 Max performance. 
I know the fact that Custom PC is a cheaper solution (I have one currently).
I will travel a lot in the next few months.

I want to buy a M1 Max 16'' with:
- 10 Core CPU
- 32 Core GPU
- 32Gb Memory
- 1Tb SSD

My current PC Specs:
- Ryzen 9 12-Core
- RTX2070 Super 8Gb
- 64Gb Ram
- 1Tb Nvme / 1Tb SSD

I wonder if 32Gb will be sufficient to run some simulations (Vellum, Fracture and Fluid)?
I'm in doubt regarding the 64Gb Upgrade (or not)

I know that.. there's never something like ''too much RAM''
But I wonder if someone had already did a try on Houdini simulations on a 32Gb M1 Max 16''?
Is it decent?
Are you able to work properly?

It's already a lot of money, and even if, when you spend 5000$.... 500$ upgrade could appears ''okay'', But I don't want to spend ''too much'' at the end. (I read myself again..Yeah.. 5000$(with taxes) is already .. a sh*t load of cash)
I don't work exclusively on Houdini, but also on Unreal, Unity, Substance, Blender.

Ps: At the end, this need to be my main (and only) computer

Thank you for your time! :)
Take care

EDIT:
For the same price (~5000$)
Do you have some very good (windows) laptop in mind? (at least 64gb RAM and very good GPU // Optimized for VFX)

Edited by Fakit

Will you have decent internet connections from where you will be working? You could think about working remotely on your stationary pc to do the heavy lifting (production-level sims and rendering) while having a quite snappy laptop for the rest of your work like previews and general working on scenes.

Anydesk works like a charm for my setup.

Thanks for your answer @bollili!

For your last solution, I thought about that, and tried, But I will not have a good internet connection all time unfortunately.
But it's a good solution for anyone in the same case, but with a good connection, for sure!
I tried to analyse the RAM comsumption on my actual custom computer, but it was not obvious.

Anyway, I got my answer: It's working pretty well with M1 Max 32Gb Ram.
I would have buy the 64Gb Ram if I would had enough money.. But it was not the case, so at the end.. no need to think about ''Should I buy..'' It was simple.

Some features in Houdini seems to not work properly but will probably be fixed soon.
Unreal, Unity, Blender and Houdini work very well!
After some test tonight, I can even say that it's better and more responsive than my custom build.
It cost a lot.. But it's incredibly fast. I'm kind of surprise to be honest.

Thanks again @bollili

• 7 months later...
On 3/13/2022 at 11:25 PM, Fakit said:

Thanks for your answer @bollili!

For your last solution, I thought about that, and tried, But I will not have a good internet connection all time unfortunately.
But it's a good solution for anyone in the same case, but with a good connection, for sure!
I tried to analyse the RAM comsumption on my actual custom computer, but it was not obvious.

Anyway, I got my answer: It's working pretty well with M1 Max 32Gb Ram.
I would have buy the 64Gb Ram if I would had enough money.. But it was not the case, so at the end.. no need to think about ''Should I buy..'' It was simple.

Some features in Houdini seems to not work properly but will probably be fixed soon.
Unreal, Unity, Blender and Houdini work very well!
After some test tonight, I can even say that it's better and more responsive than my custom build.
It cost a lot.. But it's incredibly fast. I'm kind of surprise to be honest.

Thanks again @bollili

I appreciate your question and how it's working out four you.  I'm considering a Mac Studio
(2022)