Help fixing the 'explore_variants' and point instancing workflow that returns layer save error

Latimerias

So it seems the only way to procedurally expand all the variants is using the explore variants LOP. The problem I get when using this is that the file I am exploring variants on which Is brought in using a reference LOP gets an error of not having a save path and it defaults to creating a new usd file for the layer instead of reading the one from the reference LOP. I tried to look inside the network and noticed the reference lop there is what was causing the problems, but it was too complicated for me to fix. I tried just bypassing the reference LOP inside the network which worked but then I get the default prim name "/__variants" set in the python script and I was not able to make any changes to the primName variable without getting invalid null prim error. Please help!

Edit:

I realize after messing around a bit more that the reference LOP causes the separate USD file to be written out whereas other methods like extracting the variants manually or using a stage manager use write out the same data but inside the final usd layer from the usd rop. So basically I am just wondering how to procedurally get all variant prims to use for point instancing since the explore variants method that is often shown does not appear ideal.

Edited by Latimerias

I've put in a support ticket for this, I found the same issue. 

In the meantime this trick of using a duplicate lop and a set variant with @prim works. Not 100% procedural (when I tried to drive the duplicate lop via expressions it got fiddly), but not bad. 

https://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=HoudiniLops#Instancing_and_variants

1 hour ago, mestela said:

I've put in a support ticket for this, I found the same issue. 

In the meantime this trick of using a duplicate lop and a set variant with @prim works. Not 100% procedural (when I tried to drive the duplicate lop via expressions it got fiddly), but not bad. 

https://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=HoudiniLops#Instancing_and_variants

Thanks! The thing is the more I looked at it was started thinking that its not a bug but its working how it is meant to, not totally sure but it seems makes sense that the reference would require a save path instead of writing into the main usd but the whole framework is just so confusing i don't really know.