Making rings around a sphere

Hi - I've got a feeling there's a node somewhere that does this as one of its options, but I can't remember where/how.
Basically I want to take a sphere and connect longitudinal lines around it, to form rings like this:
Screenshot%202022-05-18%20093712.png?raw

I've got a simple setup going where I'm manually connecting points and polywiring them into rings - but it feels clunky, and isn't very procedural! I'd like the rings to be closer/denser too, so there would be tons of loops to connect.

Plan is to do some sort of soft-body thing with the polygon sphere and use point deform to make the hoopy version follow along. Or something...

Hope there's a nice solution! Thanks :-)

Or you could use a polygon mesh sphere and then set connectivity to Rows, use Ends SOP to create curves (unroll with shared points). As usual in Houdini, there are around 100 ways to do any one task!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2022 at 2:28 AM, luxx said:

Or you could use a polygon mesh sphere and then set connectivity to Rows, use Ends SOP to create curves (unroll with shared points). As usual in Houdini, there are around 100 ways to do any one task!

Thanks Tim. And fancy meeting you here!

And yup you're right it's a whole new world ;-)