"Trace" around a mess of points in a flat plane

5DNick

Dear Forumers,

I have a FLIP mesh and long story short I need to cut the silhouette of it out of a big cuboid.

Currently (tell me if I'm doing it wrong from the start, I tried about 3 completely different workflows but I think this one is best) I am using a transform matrix in an attribute VOP to flatten all the points into one plane (the silhouette) so what I need at some point is to Boolean this out of the cuboid.

How can I trace an edge around the outside of this 2D "blob" of points? Then I will extrude and hey presto can do some Boolean action.

Cheers in advance for any help

5D

A screenshot/diagram or especially an example scene would help visualize what you are trying to do that's not working.  There is a Trace SOP you can use on an image if you render a frame of the FLIP sim from your desired projection angle and use to cut out a dense grid, but if you've got a FLIP mesh, converting it to polygons would give you the fairly precise geo to boolean with? 

Edited by ryew

My scene file has so much huge caching it wouldn't be practical? I thought I gave quite a precise description of what I wanted to achieve?

I think your idea with the Trace SOP might work. I'll try and do that.

Here's a couple of approaches. Neither are perfect but should get the job done.

Method 1: Triangulate 2d, then delete long edges to hopefully cull the exterior polys from the silhouette.

Method 2: Attibute transfer from the flattened points onto a subdivided plane in order to cut out the silhouette. Higher subdivs give a more accurate result.

Squab_bool.hipnc

squab_bool.png

• 3 weeks later...