Sign in to follow this  
archz2

Boolean clustering of set of boxes

I was experimenting with voronoi fracture and copy to points. I did a Boolean operation on resultant cluster of boxes. Now it automatically clustered some sets of boxes on its own. Some consist of 3 boxes, some consist of 2 boxes, etc. Is this clustering random or it has some logic to it? Moreover, how can I control which boxes get clustered together? Like, choosing the top three, then bottom four, five on the left, etc.

WuLnrNl.png

GbbNFvk.pngCLUSTERING QUESTION1.hip

This looks like a bit of a bug with Boolean not handling coincident planes very well.

• Like 1

Okay, so how to tackle this bug? Also, how can I control which boxes get clustered together? 

You can try to create cluster attribute on the points before copying boxes, then running a loop over each cluster, copying the boxes, Fuse to snap points, Boolean union.

For creating cluster attribute, you can try "Connect Adjacent Pieces" set to points so that all points link to nearby ones (and not diagonally), then use "Find Shortest Path" to create a Tetrimino-like shape.

Generally, Boolean works best with intersecting geometry. There is a new Polyscalpel node in 19.5 that is a bit more flexible with coincident geometry, which you can try.