Editing RBDs to match client feedback - Workflow question

XCube591

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone could shed light on your workflows when it comes to RBD sims, and how do you go about implementing small changes to the sim while preserving the overall motion

- I am having a tough time adjusting my RBD where the client is happy with the end part but wants to change the velocity/spread at the start of the simulation - whatever way I try to implement this it inheritely changes the end of the simulation.

Trying to take the end part from the original and mix it with a new sim also creates some unlogical/clipping motion. It's a small object sim so any small change to the motion of the pieces makes the simulation look completely different!

If anyone has any advice or useful tutorials that got you started I'd appreciate any help!

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Peter,

It really hard to comment without a .hip file but it sounds like you have a REAL problem there!

Obviously the end will always change when you change the beginning, as you have clearly realized.

My unfortunate news for you is that this just gets worse with bigger sims. I am having fun discovering how chaos theory feeds into all relatively large sims atm! I mean tiny changes in the initial conditions delivering RADICALLY different outcomes and even (seemingly) illogical ones (although I am also always learning that it's NEARLY ALWAYS my fault, not Houdini or a bug!).

If you post your scene, you never know: there POSSIBLY MAYBE a solution, but from what you've described maybe not :(

Maybe try explaining to the client how it all works (GENERALIZED of course) and why you're struggling to deliver, although they may not care or understand.

Anyway I hope you get it sorted.

:)

Cheers

Nick

One way is to conduct two simulations, the first one, and the client requested velocity alternate. You should end up with two simulations with the same point count (pre-unpack). Use a lerp or Shape Blend to cross fade between the simulations. Start off with the requested velocity spread and fade into the final overall approved motion.

Edited by Atom
  • Thanks 1