Detaching Polygones As Clones?

ragupasta

Hi people,

To practice my modeling skills with Houdini, I am building the "FireFly/Serenity" ship. I am using 3DPalace's tutorial, (As I am a 3ds Max user) and I need to build some ablative plating around the mid-section of the thruster. In 3ds you can choose certain polygons, and detach them as a clone, so you can model directly from the spot you detached them from.

Is there a way of doing something similar in Houdini?

post-2039-1179432809_thumb.jpg

stevenong: I want to keep the plating as a separate mesh for the time being, as it will be easier to unwrap. Thats also an area of Houdini which I can see being fun to learn :)

GallenWolf: Cheers man, I shall look over your file once I finish work!

Thanks guys! :D

GallenWolf: Thanks for your effort in making the file. Not quite the effect I was looking for, but I figured a way of doing it by modifing the way you showed me. I have attached the file, for you to look at.

Also another reason why I want the plating separate, is in case I animate this, and the story board requests that a piece falls off, so its really about planning early, in case of a "What if?" scenario. :blink:

Thanks again guys. :D

Ablative_Plating.hipnc

Edited by ragupasta

how about this:

Ablative_Plating2.hipnc

Ha, ha. Thats exactly the same method as I have done, but kept the plates flat to the sides. Thanks a lot guys, this forum rocks!!

Can't you select the Polygon & start PolyExtruding? Or am I missing something?

I hope by seeing a render, you understand a little better, what I am trying to achieve.

Here is the thruster file, so If you guys want to take a look over it and weed out any area's of my workflow that can be optimised, then please do.

Thanks,

Ragu

post-2039-1179521438_thumb.jpg009.Firefly_Thruster.hipncpost-2039-1179524012_thumb.jpg

Edited by ragupasta

I'm not a max user but did a few box up model tuts by max modellers. Because of this I built a few model tools. One of them is the old "solid" tool. I know they renamed it. Maybe I should as well...

It uses bind selectors so just tab-solid, select your faces and rmb.

There's an option to keep the original geometry around or not.

I'd love feedback to improve it!

solid.otl

I'm not a max user but did a few box up model tuts by max modellers. Because of this I built a few model tools. One of them is the old "solid" tool. I know they renamed it. Maybe I should as well...

It uses bind selectors so just tab-solid, select your faces and rmb.

There's an option to keep the original geometry around or not.

I'd love feedback to improve it!

solid.otl

That OTL works perfectly. The bonus to this, is that you have only the new created geometry to play with. If you do the delete sop way, you have to translate the copied geometry, if you need to polycap the rear and refine a few polysplits in there, then translate it back, so you can see what you are doing.

Thanks again for this OTL, as I tend to detach polys and model directly from there, as its easier than creating new geometry, and fiddling about placing where it needs to be.

Maybe there should be an option not to remove the choosen faces from the original geometry.

Im not sure I follow you. The solid sop does not remove the faces it uses, as I have attached a x-form to the end, and translated it across, and the geometry is still there. However if you are talking about the thruster file, then I need to use a fuse sop, on the originally used faces to make the mesh whole again. But having said that, Im going to delete the plating, and re-make them using this solid sop, as It holds much better results. :)

I am attaching the solid sop test file, and if you alter the transform, you will see that no faces are removed, (if you indeed are talking about the solid sop). B)

old school: From what I have seen, I dont think there are any imrovements needed, however once I use it more and in different situations, then there might be some level of improvement. If so, I shall let you know. Thanks again. :D

SolidSop_Test.hipnc

post-2039-1179572911_thumb.jpg

EDIT:That solid sop, is way better, as you can see here. Much more uniform, and less tweakery....

post-2039-1179574913_thumb.jpg

Edited by ragupasta

Im not sure I follow you. The solid sop does not remove the faces it uses, as I have attached a x-form to the end, and translated it across, and the geometry is still there.

If you look inside the otl you should see a delete sop on its own on the left side of the network - it deletes the group that you supply as input.

Obviously in most cases this doesn't matter because the created solid then fills the whole - but with a polygon with a normal flip round. If you then seperate the solid from the rest of the geometry then you will see the hole.

Its possible that you may need to do a cookie or something later on in the chain and having holes in the base geometry might cause issues, so having an option to bypass that delete sop might be useful.