Creating Edge Detail

kni8_2k

HellO :-)

this is probably a silly question and there is a one sop stop for it but here it goes...

so I'm looking for a way to complete this task, or an elegant way to get this done.

I've taken an arbitrary poly patch and used a divide sop to create get its outside edges. then a resample sop to resample those edges and get more detail. then through an extrude sop created the side detail. now I want to merge everything together so that when I take it through other poly opperations the points will stick together.

the problem is that I need the new points on the edge detail to be merged into the primitives of the original patch.

I don't know how to do that so if any one here has a solution or ending to my problem that will keep the geometry clean and create the edge details procedurally.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

edgeDetail.jpg

Cheers.

Knight 2k

Sounds like fun problem:) Is there any chance you can save out this geometry and upload to this forum for people to play with? I think this one would take experimentation.

I assume you want as-automated-as-possible a solution, right?

after your locked SOP

append an EdgeDivide

Group: p37-38-35-36-30-31-24-13-17-11-12-3-7-6-2-1-0-4-8-14-20-19-18-25-26-32-33-34-37

Divisions : 4

then your polyExtrude...

there's lots of ways to find the edges procedurally

HTH

Hey Thanks Every ONE :-)

about an hour after posting the question last night and bieng stuck on it for about 1.5 days. I figured out a method.

arctor : your method with the edgeDivide is sound except that I have to have happen dynamicly on over 100 patches. the trick was to use the divide sop with a custom Function that given a point group derived from the unshared edges builds a long string "p$a-$b p$a-$b ..." where $a and $b are redefined in a for loop.

cbp :-) thank you for the attachment, I will take a look at it and learn how you'e done it.

I'll post a solution, later when I get to work.

Thanks again Every one :-)

Hey Cbp :-)

I feel a litle silly after seeing how simple your solution was :-) But I think I'm going to stick with the function method. although the dubdivide -delete - and re-extrude is probably more portable with in different files.

here is the function :

string pointEdges(string gname) {

string myinputlist = pointlist(opinputpath(".",0),gname);

string result = "";

nargs = argc(myinputlist);

for (i = 0; i < nargs-1; i++) {

string pa = arg(myinputlist, i);

string pb = arg(myinputlist, i+1);

result += "p" +pa+"-"+pb+" ";

}

string pendb = arg(myinputlist, 0);

string penda = arg(myinputlist, argc(myinputlist)-1);

result += "p" +penda+"-"+pendb+" ";

return result;

}

it is called like this :

pointEdges("pgroupName");

and is used in an edgeDivide sop after a point group sop with unshared edges turned on.

Cheers All,

Ali.