How To Rendering Shadow?

You need to assign shadow matte shaders to the objects in order to just generate a shadow render pass.

You can use takes to do this. Have a dedicated shadow matte take.

How you assign those Shadow Matte shaders differs between H8 and H9 and then in H9 there are a few ways.

In H8 you would create a vex Shadow Matte SHOP then switch to the shadow matte take and change the shader assignments to the objects to the Shadow Matte SHOP.

In H9 you can do the exact same thing only use materials. There is currently no shadow matte material but I just put in a requst for that. Thanks. In the meantime go to SHOPs, create a vex Shadow Matte SHOP then make sure it is selected, hit shift-C to collapse it and rename the newly created material shadow matte. If you want, promote the parms up using the Edit Parameter Interface for the material and promote up the vex ShadowMatte parms up so you can access them.

Again you can use takes to assign the material to the various objects. That would be the most straight forward way.

As for the Render Output Nodes ROPs, you will want to add a Mantra ROP output driver dedicated to rendering the shadow matte take.

• 2 years later...

hello ,

does anyone know how to include indirect light shadows ?

I tried the way described above, but I couldn't see any shadows from "ambient occlusion" or "full irradiance", thought it worked for direct lighting.