Flying Arrows Exercise - Magic Of Houdini

psychojay

Hi guys,

I m very new to Houdini and at present going thru Magic Of Houdini. I have recently done the Flying Arrows Exercise given in the POPS chapter. Will Cunningham has covered it really well but i jst wanted to add on to it.

Wat i wanted to do is when the arrows hit the ground there should be a little vibrating motion depending on the depth of penetration in the ground. The penetration depth is already automated using the stamp option but i couldnt figure out on how to get the vibrating motion at the time of impact.

Thanks in advance,

J

good question, maybe you could use a sin function or chop that dimishes over time and depending on the depth or speed it would dimishes quickly (so you could hardly notice) to really springy.

but i would really like to know how this would be done.

Just use any collision related attribute (see Attributes Tab of Collision POP) to trigger arrow shake animation.

Create an arrow's shake with some expression in its rotation channels and multiply it by, lets say, $NUMHITS * $HITTIME attributes.

you can use chops also for a sake of clarity. Expressions stuff tends to get complicated while chops stay as clear as crystal.

sy.

EDIT

Here you have basic idea. Please note that I don't remember mentioned tutorial so it's hard to me follow its way but I assume this is something like that.

arrows.hipnc

Edited by SYmek