Fatty Filler

srgb

Hi Ladies and Gents,

So, I've managed to reach a semi-completed status for my polygonal heart model (the tubes need to be extended later to suit my needs, but the main body is done). What you can see in the diagram is a replica of a human heart minus all the fatty tissue that makes up the gaps between the shown chambers. (I have not textured it yet.. thats for a later date).

I am now looking towards filling the gaps with something resembling a fatty-tissue substance (like the yellow stuff seen in the real-life picture). I had thought about using the rather indirect modelling method of cookie'ing the heart with another geometry object so that I am left with triangulated geometry 'flowing' between the gaps. I could then chop that up into a shape that fits with the contours of the heart chambers, and subsequently recreate a (quadrilateral) polygonal version of this triangulated geometry using the ray SOP and some other methods I used for the heart. Phew! :blink: As you can see this seems to be a really indirect and drawn out way to do it...

Does anyone have any alternate modelling methods that I might be able to use to fill in the gaps (the very obvious area on the left side, and all the areas in-between the tubes)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) .

Thanks all,

srgb

post-2439-1187184787_thumb.jpg

post-2439-1187185312_thumb.jpg

Edited by srgb

This reminds me of a desire I had a while ago to have a new mode in the Sculpt SOP - a Grab tool. The idea behind a grab tool would be kind of like using the Edit SOP except as a brush tool. You'd almost always use it with a large soft radius and it would drag the surface under the mouse pointer as if you'd had the surface stuck to your finger, treating it kinda like putty. Varying the soft radius should feel like you're changing the viscosity feel of the object, I'd think. It would move the handle in the Camera plane by default (pressing Alt would move in depth).

I was thinking such a tool would allow you to place some spheres for your fatty tissue and then smear them around into place. What would be awesome would be a collision mechanism too :)

I have an rfe in for a move option in the edit/sculpt sop that sounds very similar too. It would just let you drag the points under the brush parallel to the current viewing plane. Very handy for quick edits nudging the surface around rather than just pulling it along normals. I've seen a few tutorials that use this method for sculpting hair too.

Anyhow, I did a search and it's RFE 20809 for the Sculpt SOP. It doesn't have Simon's name on it though.

Feel free to add mine and Simon's to it, hehe ;) And yes I agree it would also be very useful for hair sculpting. I can also image that it should also be able to move only connected meshes around too as an option. I guess it's almost a UV Brush SOP of the 3D world - so I can imagine it's really pretty well discovered territory for SESI.

check here how they did modeling for steaks and food maybe its useful for heart also and fat areas could be solved like they did caviar!

http://graphics.pixar.com/AnyoneCanCook/paper.pdf

It's a pretty interesting paper this. It makes you wish for Houdini to have a convex-hull generation algorithm (can't SESI just steal Qhull or something) and have Simons MVC/SBC Coordinate deformation systems to be used in conjunction with the H9 Squishy Object. That sounds like a possibly nice way to do the sagging foods.

There might be a nice way to do this somehow else but the above sounds like it might be a good one.

@Jason - Edward posted the code for a convex hull generator and I have used it in conjuntion with Mean value coordinates. SBC deformation doesn't need convex hulls so you could use the isooffset sop to make the cage. I tend to hand build them for greater control.

@Edward - I bet my rfe pre dates the recording system, or its been lost. Do they get past over from version to version as well? But yes add my name to it, every week I wish for it. I'd write my own but it totally needs to be integrated with the edit sop to make it useful, plus when I first thought about it you couldn't tell the current camera position in the hdk, I think this may have changed for 9 judging from another thread in the hdk forum.

Current camera in hdk

Edited by sibarrick